In this section we will discuss about how to format toshiba external hard drive for mac. When you buy a new Toshiba hard drive, you need to format it in a specific way to make it compatible with your Windows and Mac computer. Windows uses the NFTS file system, whereas Mac uses the HFS file system, and both these file systems are incompatible with each other.
When you format a hard drive with the FAT32 file system, you can use the hard drive on your Mac and Windows computer. But in the FAT32 file system, you cannot transfer files of more than 4 GB. To use the hard drive for your Mac and Windows without any transfer limit, format the drive with the exFAT file system. Continue to read the following instructions to format toshiba external hard drive on mac.
- Connect the Toshiba hard drive to your Mac computer.
- Click on the Spotlight icon and then type disk utility.
- Under External, all the hard drives you have connected to your Mac will be displayed on the Disk Utility screen. Click on the Toshiba hard drive which you want to format.
- Click on the Erase option at the top menu.
- In the Name field, give a name for your drive.
- In the Format field, select exFAT.
- In the Scheme field, select GUID partition map and click on the Erase button.
- Finally, click on the Done button.
The process format toshiba external hard drive for mac is now finished. You can drag and drop your files into the hard drive. However, if you want to use the Toshiba drive for Time Machine backup, you need to format it for your Mac computer alone.
Format The Toshiba driver For Time Machine Backup:
- When you select the hard drive in the Disk Utility, click on the Erase option at the top menu.
- In the Name field, give a descriptive name for your drive.
- In the Format field, select OS X Extended format from the drop-down, leave the Scheme as a GUID partition map, and click on the Erase button.
- When you format in this manner, the file system will be in HFS. Thus you can use it only on your Mac computer. So, when you complete the partition for your Time Machine, format again with the exFAT file system.
- To allocate a partition for the Time Machine backup, in the Disk Utility, click on the Partition menu at the top menu and enter the amount of storage you would like to give for the Time Machine. Then click Apply.
- Select the untitled partition and format it as exFAT, and click on Erase. The storage other than the Time Machine can be used on your Mac and Windows computer.
Now you have successfully formatted your Toshiba hard drive. To get more assistance on how to format toshiba external hard drive for mac, Reach our experts by clicking the call button and get instant solution.